When Love Hurts


I know there is a saying about how love doesn’t hurt, but I disagree…let me explain.

I am a witness and a survivor of domestic violence, so I am speaking from my heart, my experiences.

When you love someone, it hurts to know that the person you love so much has hurt you. In a domestic capacity, it could be your spouse, sibling, parent or even your child. These are people you love deeply and are supposed to feel the same about you.
I got married at age 18 because I had two children with the guy I had been dating for 3 years. The relationship was abuse in its rarest form; I was 15 and pregnant and he was 18 right out of high school.

It hurt my family to see me in such a manipulative and emotionally abusive situation with the father of my unborn child because they loved me.

After our child was born the abuse didn’t stop. I got pregnant again; sadly, we brought a second child into what was already a bad situation.

As the children got older they started to see and understand the pattern of the abuse; eventually, it became physical. It hurt our children to see me being abused and their father being the culprit because they loved us.

After about 7 years I finally left the marriage and moved to another state. It hurt our children not seeing their dad every day like they were used to because they loved him. I quickly grew to understand that no matter what he did it was his actions they didn’t like, but they still loved him.  At first, the children were somber and moping, asking the difficult “why” questions.  It hurt me so much to watch them go through these emotional changes, (which ultimately was a very healthy move) because I loved them.

I could go on and on about domestic violence and why love really does hurt, but I think I’ve driven the point through.  

LOve is patient and kind.

LOve does not envy or boast.

LOve is not proud.

LOve honors others and is not selfishness.

LOve is not easily angered.

LOve does not keep a record of what you do wrong.

LOve is not hateful but enjoys the truth.

LOve always protects you, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Written by: Anonymous, Transitions Client 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priceless – The Movie; Spoiler Alert

Update on PFC LaVena Johnson, Questions Still Unanswered

When Secondary Trauma Hits