When Secondary Trauma Hits

Compassion fatigue, also known as secondary traumatic stress (STS), is “stress resulting from helping or wanting to help a traumatized or suffering person.”   It is common among individuals that work directly with trauma victims such as, therapists, nurses, psychologists, police officers, first responders, animal welfare workers,  and anyone who helps others.  This includes family members and other informal caregivers.
 
How does one explain the effects of secondary trauma?  For me, it is an overwhelming feeling that words cannot describe.  It’s volumes of information that hold an emotional charge on my body, mind, and spirit on a daily basis. 

Finding my way through secondary trauma has been a lifelong journey with many roadblocks followed by a light at the end of the tunnel.  At times, realizing that I am carrying the burden of someone else is nonexistent.  I continue to provide crisis counseling without a thought of the effects trauma causes. 


When I am aware of the trauma the evidence is overpowering.  For me, it is the inability to focus, tears that roll down my eyes for unknown reason, feeling burned out, worn down, fatigued, and the intense feeling that I can never do enough to stop the violence in this world.  My physical health is often compromised, with illnesses that others would readily heal from lasting several weeks for me.

On the brighter side of this, Transitions’ provides excellent care for their advocates.  I have wonderful co-workers that remind each other that self-care is very important and supervisors who provide positive feedback.  I have found that when counseling and advocacy is your passion, the need to understand the toll it takes on your personal life is your lifeboat to that all important island of peace that surpasses all understanding.

Written by Patti S., Union/Snyder County Coordinator

Figley, C.R. (Ed.) (1995). Compassion Fatigue: Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorders from Treating the Traumatized. New York: Brunner/Mazel, p.7.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Priceless – The Movie; Spoiler Alert

Update on PFC LaVena Johnson, Questions Still Unanswered