#YesAllWomen and What It All Means

Recently, in light of crimes committed in California against women who were perceived to slight an individual, people have started posting under the heading/hashtag YesAllWomen, stating that no, not all men rape, or beat, or harm women, but all women have, at some point, experienced harassment, abuse, or discrimination in their lives.  Below are just a few examples; I strongly encourage you to search #YesAllWomen on Twitter or Tumblr to learn more.

Many argue that social media campaigns like this don't do anything.  It's just another case of people saying one things behind a computer keyboard/smartphone and another in real life.  Well, I would argue that these days, social media IS real life.  And if people are talking about misogyny, and rape culture, and discrimination, even if it isn't solving the problem, talking about it is a step in the right direction.  It is hard to read the information posted under this heading on Twitter and Tumblr, but I do it to remember why Transitions is necessary and why we fight against injustice, violence, and abuse every day.








Some people have been posting their own experiences with harassment or unwanted attention.
Lena Dunham wrote on Twitter:
In high school a very disturbed boy told me if I didn't choose to love him he would make me, followed by a series of graphic threats...... My school handled it quickly and never questioned how I'd "provoked" him and it told me that I matter. I wish that for every woman.  Just gotta say, on the almost-summer's day, I love you my brave web friends

Some have been posting things that show discrimination or misogyny still at work.




odetonothingnesswroteshe wrote on Twitter and shared on Tumblr:

#YesAllWoman #EachEveryWoman because girls are taught to wear fake wedding rings when they go out and don’t want to be hit on.


Some people have just been posting their thoughts about how differently women have to live.



thedeadsullivanshow wrote: 

the fear men have when they think about going to prison is the fear women have when they walk down the sidewalk.

let that sink in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priceless – The Movie; Spoiler Alert

Update on PFC LaVena Johnson, Questions Still Unanswered

When Secondary Trauma Hits